Since 2011, there has been all sorts of scuttlebutt about what happened to Strum, Ruger & Company’s Red Label Shotguns.
Some in the shotgun world insisted poor sales forced the company to abandon the 32-year project. Other smoothbore fans were just plain left scratching their heads as to the model’s whereabouts.
After nearly 3 years off the shelves and out of the catalogs, Ruger has set the record straight on where the Red Label had disappeared. It seems the scattergun went back to the drawing board for an overhaul. And recently the company unveiled where its engineering efforts went in retooling its well known shotgun.
Ruger has re-released the Red Label in a 12 gauge version and has made a number of tweaks it’s certain will make it a smoother shooting and more effective shotgun.
The shotgun has a redistributed center of gravity for even greater instinctual swing and pointing. It has two-inch extended forcing cones and maximum back-bored barrels. And the shotgun’s soft Pachmayr® buttpad enhance the shooting experience with reduced recoil.
The Red Label’s familiar, low profile receiver reduces muzzle climb because the centerline of the bore is closer to the gun’s center mass.
It also features an American Walnut stock with a 1.5-inch drop at comb and a 2.5-inch drop at heel. Red Label shotguns are available with 26-, 28- or 30-inch barrels and each model features a 14.5-inch length of pull.
The new models retain the Red Label’s classic lines and good looks, which are further enhanced by the new stainless steel top lever. The suggested retail price for all three models is $1,399.
Each shotgun includes a custom molded, semi-soft case, five Briley chokes (two skeet chokes and one full, one modified and one improved cylinder choke), a premium-quality Briley choke tube wrench and a safety lock.
- Automatic, two-position tang safety/barrel selector provides instant visibility and accessibility.
- Finely polished, stainless steel receiver is corrosion-resistant and has no exposed pins or screws.
- Reliable, single mechanical trigger that allows for firing the second barrel without recocking and features rebounding hammers for easy opening.
- Sleek, compact locking system is considered to be among the strongest ever built for over-and-under shotguns.
- Precision matched, blued alloy steel, cold hammer-forged barrels made of high-strength chrome-molybdenum steel feature 2″ forcing cones and maximum back boring for superior recoil reduction and more uniform patterns.
- 1/4″ dovetailed, free-floating, ventilated rib with brass bead front sight is stress relieved, contour-grounded, precisely fitted and silver-brazed (not soft-soldered) to the finished monoblock.
- Beautifully crafted, cut-checkered American Walnut stock features a traditional pistol grip, tapered, slim forend and a stainless steel latch release.
- A soft Pachmayr® buttpad is mounted on the 14.5″ length of pull stock, which features a 1.5″ drop at the comb and a 2.5″ drop at the heel.
- Five steel-shot compatible, screw-in Briley® chokes and wrench included, featuring two skeet chokes and one full, one modified and one improved cylinder choke, plus a premium-quality Briley® choke tube wrench.
- Also includes: custom molded, semi-soft case; safety lock
- Suggested Retail: $1,399.00
Recommended Shotgun Resources